Spent the weekend in beautiful Mpumalanga in a little town called Graskop. This part of the country is well and truly a gem and must have an anointing over it for stripping one’s character and unveiling the truth of who one really is. All three times I have been there, I’ve walked away with a broader understanding of myself and have seen sides of my fellow travellers I didn’t know were there. This particular weekend, was no different, which really challenged me in more ways that I would have liked it to.The Mr and I got involved in a car accident on the Saturday. Thankfully, we walked away with our lives and no significant damage to the vehicle and the car was still driveable afterwards.
This incident forced me to re-live a car accident I was involved in three years ago. It had almost all the same elements, except this time, I re-lived it as a passenger and not a driver (as was my previous experience). It was strange. I kind of outta body experience. Hard to describe. I can count the number of times in my life that I’ve come close to death on one hand and each time has been so different and yet so similar at the same time. Ask me if I’m afraid of dying and I couldn’t actually give you a straight answer.
Aside from that though, the Mpumalanga Escarpment (also known as the Panorama Route) leads you through a circular route from one natural wonder to another and is well worth the visit if you are ever in need of a gettaway from the bustle of Johannesburg.
The mac-mac pools. A beautiful little picninc area between Sabie and Graskop.
Swimming is in natural rock pools (like the one in the pic).
We stayed here
The quaint town of Graskop has an elephant dung curio shop that sells goodies made from the stuff
the pinnacle rock
The blyde river canyon
The three rondavels. Apparently these are supposed to look like huts
The shoe - which the owner of the shop adjoining it insisted was the actual home of the lady in the story-book rhyme who had ten kids. I almost believed her.
No comments:
Post a Comment